Unable to access your Facebook account is a scary scenario, one that involves the account being taken over by an intruder. While that’s a possibility, the simplest reason you cannot access your Facebook account is a forgotten password.
And not an uncommon event provided we have so many passwords for so many websites. Luckily though, a simple password recovery process could let you gain access to your account in no time.
How to Recover Your Facebook Account After Forgetting the Password
You can learn how to do it on a desktop computer by following along with the instructions in this article. It includes instructions on how to reset your Facebook password on a mobile device using the app.
On their computers and mobile devices, many Facebook users prefer to stay logged in to the social media site so that they can easily access it. However, you might forget your password if you’re unintentionally logged out. It’s impossible for Facebook to know your password, but you can change it.
The easiest way to recover your Facebook account password is to follow Facebook’s very own password recovery mechanism. If you are trying to access your account on the desktop, follow the below steps to recover your password:
- Launch a browser and head to the official Facebook website.
- Just below the boxes where you have to put in your login details, you will find the password recovery option, give it a click.
- You will be taken to the password recovery page. Here you will have the options to receive the password recovery code. You can either use the email linked to the account or the phone number.
- Once you provide the email or the mobile number, you will be taken to the next recovery screen.
- Here you will be prompted to confirm the choice and receive the recovery code either through email or the mobile number. Once you have selected the desired option, click on the continue button.
- Alternatively, there are few more options on the screen too, in case you do not have access to the required email or the phone number. In such a case, you can choose the relevant option and then proceed further.
- Once you click on the continue button, Facebook will send the recovery code to the selected recovery option, that is, your phone number or email.
- Retrieve the code, then put it in the given field and again press the Continue button.
- Facebook will verify the code, then let you create a new password for your account.
Facebook will prompt you with a choice to either stay logged in on another device where your account is open or log out. We recommend that you go with the second option.
Steps for Facebook Account Password Recovery on the Facebook Mobile App
The password recovery process on the Facebook mobile app is not so different than on the desktop.
- Launch the app and when you are on the login screen, tap the Forgot Password link.
- The app will prompt you to enter either your username, email, or phone number associated with your Facebook account.
- Once you do that, Facebook will search for the account matching your details and, when found, display the recovery options.
- You can choose to receive the recovery code either via SMS or in your mailbox.
- Once you have received the recovery code, put it in the required field and tap on the Continue button.
- The app will verify the code, then let you choose a new password. Set the desired password and use it to log in to your Facebook account.
Recover Your Facebook Account Using Trusted Contacts
If you have been thoughtful enough and have set trusted contacts beforehand, you can use those contacts to recover your Facebook account. The method is easy to follow and requires few simple steps:
- Navigate to the Facebook login page and click on the forgotten password link.
- Follow the screen prompts till you reach the screen where Facebook asks, how you want to recover your password.
- On this screen, follow the ‘No longer have access to these’ link.
- On the following screen, enter a new email or phone number you want to use for Facebook account recovery.
- Next, give a click to the ‘Reveal My Trusted Contacts’ option.
- Once you have identified your trusted contacts, Facebook will create a link only accessible by those included in your trusted contacts.
- Send the links to respective contacts and ask them to open the link and send you the attached code.
- Once you have codes from at least three of your friends, you can then access your account.
However, before you use the Trusted Contacts feature, you should have enabled it in the first place. Otherwise, you will have to upload your Personal Identification Proof documents and wait for Facebook’s reply in this regard.
We are so attached to our Facebook account that we get all hyped up if we can’t access it. And it’s all-natural since we share a whole lot of personal information on social media platforms. However, getting back access to the Facebook account is relatively easy and most of the time only requires a password reset.
You can follow the simple Facebook password recovery process and access your account back with a new password. If you liked this, don’t forget to check out our other explainers, best lists, and how-to guides. Furthermore, if you have any questions or suggestions, please use the comment section below to contact us.